Luxe Or Less: Alexis Mabille Tie Waist Skirt

Picture courtesy of Style.com


I rarely come across a couture look that's actually wearable in real life, so imagine my delight and surprise when I saw this gray skirt from the Alexis Mabille SS09 show! The high waist, the side tie, the tailored lines--altogether it struck me as the perfect blend of tailored femininity. It was also a familiar look that I'd seen before for a lot less money when I was coveting a tie waist paper sack skirt by Joe Fresh last fall.

This tie waist skirt by Joe Fresh was $29.


The Joe Fresh version unfortunately isn't available anymore, so I've been eyeing other tie waist skirts. This chocolate tweed number by Robert Rodriguez ($121.54) is a pretty scrumptious alternative. The only downside is that it's from Bluefly, which according to my reader Em has scary brokerage fees for goods being delivered to Canada.



For all of these reasons, I think my best bet would be this version by CiCi, a clothing line by Vancouver-based designer Jenny Yen. (You may remember from this post that I did some website work for Jenny in the past and got a CiCi sweater dress in return.) CiCi is designed and made locally, and it's close to my heart because I've met the designer behind the label. Jenny and her Two of Hearts design partner Tabitha Savoie are taking the plunge and opening their own boutique this week; maybe I can ask Jenny to put aside one of these skirts in my size. I can get my hands on a style I've been craving AND support local design talent...it's a win-win all around, don't you think?

19 comments

  1. Such a cute design ... if you spring for one, be sure to post outfits. I'm always curious to see how people style paperbag waisted garments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tie waist skirts are so feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. I'll have to check out CiCi, hope all goes well for the design duo with opening their new boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a new job & this seems like a great piece that could be conservative or trendy depending on what I pair it with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the idea of that skirt. Especially the swingy shape of the couture one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I hate tying things around my waist. I fuss with it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look! I love the tie waist on skirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute skirt - agree, it can be worn at work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo I love all your choices! And shopping local is always a great idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love these skirts, they're perfect for work and play. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tie waisted skirts are so versatile, you gotta love em. Professional, shopping trips, and nights on the town, it works for all those events!

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yep I second the bluefly scary experience, I had to pay an extra $60 on a recent order, yipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! I love how tie waist skirts look too! I have tie waist shorts and harem pants and I've always wanted a tie waist skirt/paperbag skirt for my collection! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cute! i want this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am dying for a skirt like this! Thank you for all the great resources! Post pictures...it will look adorable on you!

    xo
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top